Local History Room
The Nicole Seligman and Joel Klein Archive Center at the John Jermain Memorial Library holds an extensive collection of materials related to the history of the people and communities of Sag Harbor and surrounding areas, including maps, books, photographs, and ephemera. This is a dynamic collection, and donations of family papers, deed transfers, journals and letters or their facsimiles are welcome.
The collection is available to researchers by appointment only. Staff is available to assist users during their visit.
Policies and Procedures for the Use of Rare Materials
Material found in the Archive Center is often irreplaceable and fragile, and must be handled with special care and attention. Items from the collection must be used under the direct supervision of a librarian.
Each user will be required to sign a form indicating that they understand and agree with the conditions of use. In general, the materials from the History Room are available to any person whose research justifies the use of unusual, fragile, and irreplaceable materials. An appointment is necessary for all users as it enables us to prepare material for viewing. The collection cannot be browsed.
Privileges are granted subject to the following restrictions:
- A request form must be filled out for each item to be consulted. In general, researchers will be given one item at a time.
- Readers are required to present photographic identification and a reasonable explanation of their need for use of the material.
- No extraneous personal materials will be allowed on the table with rare items. All personal items should be placed on the floor beneath the table before using this material.
- The material should be left flat on the table at all times, and should not be leaned on, written on, traced, or in any way handled where damage could occur. Unnecessary handling, especially of manuscripts, should be avoided.
- Each item will be checked after use to be sure there is no damage, markings, etc.
- Photography is allowed.
- Only pencils or a laptop may be used to make notes.
- Library staff members reserve the right to search briefcases, book bags, satchels, and folders before a researcher leaves the premises.
- Food and drinks are not allowed in the archive.
Make an Appointment
To make an appointment to use or view materials in the Archive Center, please complete and submit the registration form below or write to us at: John Jermain Memorial Library History Room, 201 Main Street, Sag Harbor, New York 11963. If you write, please be sure to include all the information requested below. Efforts will be made to arrange an appointment date and time suitable to the patron and library although no requested date or time is guaranteed. The JJML History Room is generally staffed Tuesday through Saturday; submissions made at other times may not receive an immediate reply.
Adapted from the Birmingham Public Library and Boston Public Library policies for use of rare materials.